Security agencies won’t allow protest at Lekki Toll Gate, says Fed Govt
The Federal Government on Thursday drew the red line for #EndSARS protesters over their plans to re-occupy the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos.
The government said it will crush any protest at the toll gate under any guise and warned Nigerians against participating in an action at the toll gate.
It said security agencies have been put on red alert to curtail any form of protest.
The government said protests are constitutionally, but only allowed only in designated places.
It said intelligence report had shown that the latest protest might be hijacked and lead to violence.
It alleged that some Nigerian activists have linked up with subversive elements outside Nigeria to cause crisis.
Minister of Information and Culture Lai Mohammed, who announced the government’s tough stance at a briefing in Abuja, said the last #EndSARS protest led to a trillion Naira destruction.
He spoke against the backdrop of plans to resume action by #EndSARS protesters at Lekki Toll Gate as from Saturday.
Mohammed said: “As you may be aware, some #EndSARS proponents have given notice of their plan to return to Lagos – Lekki Toll Gate to be specific – on Saturday, February 13th 2021. The ‘’Occupy Lekki Toll Gate’’ flyers have been circulating online, with the proponents threatening that ’’Lagos will burn’’ again.
“Let me be clear: While peaceful protests are the constitutional rights of Nigerians, violent protests are not. At this time, the chances that any peaceful protest will be hijacked are very high.
“Based on the intelligence at the disposal of the Federal Government, some Nigerian activists have linked up with others outside Nigeria, including subversive elements, with a view to destabilising the country. We cannot and must not allow this to happen.
“Never again will the Federal Government allow the kind of violence that was perpetrated across the country under the guise of the #EndSARS last October. Never again will anyone or group be allowed to destroy cities or to kill and maim innocent citizens, including security agents, under any guise.
“However, any further resort to violence in the name of #EndSARS will not be tolerated this time. The security agents are ready for any eventuality.”
Mohammed, who recalled the losses incurred by the nation in 2020, said the Federal Government will not allow Nigerians to be held hostage again.
He added: “A situation in which six soldiers and 37 policemen were murdered in cold blood by hoodlums will not repeat itself. The attack, looting and razing of 269 private and public properties will not happen again. The killing of 57 civilians will not be re-enacted.
“We therefore strongly warn those who are planning to re-occupy Lekki Toll Gate on Saturday to desist.”
He said the government was keenly watching some social media platforms to uncover their roles in the plot
He said: “ We know that many of those who have been loudest on social media in advertising the plan to reconvene in Lagos on Saturday are not even in Nigeria.
“They are elsewhere around the world fanning the embers of violence and inciting gullible people back home. No one should fall for their antics.
“No government anywhere will allow a repeat of the kind of destruction, killing and maiming wrought by the hijackers of #EndSARS protests last year.