Ex-gov Yari won’t forfeit N248m to FG, says aide

2

A former governor of Zamfara State Abdulaziz Yari has appealed against the judgment of a Federal High Court, sitting in Abuja which ordered him to forfeit N248m to the Federal Government.

The Media aide to the former governor, Mayowa Oluwabiyi, said this in a statement in Abuja, on Sunday.

He assured members of the public that the appellate court would vindicate Yari.

Oluwabiyi stated Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu of the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja, final Tuesday, ruled that Yari should forfeit $669,248 and N24.3m to the federal government.

READ ALSO:  Zamfara: State Government Earmarked 700m for 2021 legislative activities

He, however, stated, the court gave Yari, 14 days to show cause why he should not forfeit the money.

The statement read in part, “The former governor had no reason to fear because he declared all the companies and businesses, he had to the Code of Conduct Bureau on the assumption of the office.

“The CCB had cleared all the businesses. The ex-governors legal staff had already begun the process of appealing the judgment at the Court of Appeal

“We hereby enjoin members of the public to await the final determination of the case and expressed optimism that the decision will vindicate the former governor.”

Recall that a Federal High Court in Abuja last Tuesday ordered a final forfeiture of N284, 306, 294.04 linked to Yari, to the Federal Government.

The money was stated to have been lodged with Zenith Bank and Polaris Bank.

Justice Ojukwu, who gave the final forfeiture order, stated, Yari couldn’t prove the source of the funds traced to him.

Yari and two companies belonging linked to him (Kayatawa Nig. Ltd and B.T. Oil and Gas Nig. Ltd.) were indicted for alleged fraud and were dragged to the court by the Impartial Corrupt Practices and OtherRelated Offences Commission.

 

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this: